CAT 2016 – Every year, Indian Institute of Management conducts Common Admission Test (CAT) in the country. It is regarded as one of the toughest management entrance exam of the nation. Aspirants give in their whole year of hard work and smart work to crack this not so cute CAT. Lakhs of aspirants sit for the test every year but only a handful of them get admitted to the IIMs. CAT 2016 is expected to be held in last week of November 2016. It is a computer-based test and a total of 100 questions will be asked. The online registration for the test will most likely commence in August 2016. Keep reading this article to know all about CAT 2016.
- Exam Name – Common Admission Test
- Commonly known as – CAT
- Level of Exam – National Level
- Exam Category – Post Graduate (MBA entrance exam)
- Conducting Body – Indian Institute of Management (on rotation basis)
|Date of release of official notification||By last week of July 2016|
|CAT 2016 Online Registration to commence from||First week of August 2016|
|Online Registration to end in||Last week of September 2016|
|Admit Card to be available from||Last week of October 2016 till the date of the exam|
|Due Date of CAT 2016||Last week of November 2016|
|Announcement of CAT Result||First week of January 2017|
- Study Plan for CAT 2016 – Check Here
- From where should I start my CAT 2016 Preparation? – Click Here
- CAT Previous Year Question Papers – Download Here
- No Coaching No CAT, Not True..!! – Check Here
- What role do Mock Tests play in cracking CAT? – Check Here
- CAT 2015 Toppers – Check Here
- CAT 2015 Cutoff – Check Here
- Best Books for CAT 2016 Preparation – Check Here
The below listed eligibility conditions must be fulfilled by the candidates interested in appearing for CAT 2016 –
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree passed with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of the candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD/DA categories) or must possess an equivalent qualification as recognized by the Ministry of HRD, including AMICE.
- No age limitation to appear for the test.
- The candidates appearing for their final year exams of the qualifying degree can also apply for CAT 2016. They will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if they will submit a certificate issued by the Principal/Registrar of their College/Institute stating that he/she has completed all the requirements for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate. This certificate should be submitted by the aspirant on or before 30 June 2016.
In the first week of August 2016, the application form is expected to be released. Though the official notification for convening CAT 2016 will most likely be released in last week of July 2016. The CAT 2016 Application Form will be released in online mode only and will be available at the official web portal of CAT 2016. All the candidates interested in taking up this management entrance exam must ensure that the eligibility criteria is met by them before they fill up the application form. Failure in fulfilling the eligibility criteria may lead to disqualification of the candidature. The online registration portal is expected to remain operational till September 2016. Last year, the date of submitting the application form was extended till 25 September 2016. Approx. 2,18,664 applications were received for appearing in the test but out of these, only 1,79,602 candidates actually took CAT 2015.
The candidates will be required to fill 5 sections in the CAT 2016 Application Form and upload necessary documents like category certificate, recent passport size photograph and signature etc. The 5 sections to be filled in the form are as follow –
- Personal details
- Details of Academics
- Details of Work Experience (if any)
- Details of Programmes to be pursued
- Payment of application fees
CAT 2016 Application Fee
While filling the online application form to appear for the test, all the candidates will be required to pay a non-refundable application fee. This fee can be paid in online mode using either the Net Banking service or the Credit/Debit card. No other mode of fee payment will be available. The amount of CAT 2016 Registration fee is expected to remain same as last year, which is as follow –
- For General/OBC category candidates – Rs 1600/-
- For SC/ST/DA/PwD category candidates – Rs 800/-
The admit card will be released online for CAT 2016 in last week of October 2016. Without producing a valid admit card, no candidate will be allowed entry into the allotted test center. Along with the CAT 2016 Admit Card, the candidates must carry with them a valid photo ID for the purpose of verification. The admit card will furnish the details of the candidate like name, roll number, photograph, signature & other information like exam schedule, date of test, address of exam center, test day instructions and others.
Last year, quite a few changes were made to the exam pattern of the test. These changes worked in favor of most of the aspirants but some of them didn’t found these changes working for them. Since a lot of changes have been made last year, it is expected that no changes will be made to the CAT 2016 exam pattern. The specifications of the CAT Exam Pattern are as follow –
- Duration of the exam shall be of 03 hours, 60 minutes each will be given to attempt a section.
- Total sections will be 3. There shall be a mix of objective type and descriptive type questions in the test.
- Use of a basic online calculator for computations will be permitted.
- A total of 100 questions will be asked in the paper, 34 questions will be asked from Quantitative Aptitude, 34 from Verbal & Reading Comprehension and 32 from Data Interpretation & Logical reasoning.
- 4 mark will be awarded for every correct answer. 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer given. No negative marking is applicable for descriptive questions.
The result of the test will be announced online and will be published at the official website of CAT 2016. For checking the result and downloading the scorecard, the candidates will have to login using their User Id and Password. The result will furnish the total and sectional score as well as percentile obtained by the candidates. Based on this result, they will be able to seek admission into IIMs and other B-Schools in India. The CAT 2016 score will remain valid for a year.