CAT Eligibility Criteria 2017 – The official notification of CAT 2017 will be released by the end of July and the application process will start in the month of August. The MBA aspirants who wish to appear for the exam must go through the eligibility criteria of CAT 2017 exam. This year, after a gap of 7 years, IIM Lucknow will conduct the CAT exam. CAT eligibility criteria 2017 will be announced in the official notification. Anyone with a graduation degree can apply for CAT 2017. However, it is expected to remain the same as last year. However, there are some important conditions that the candidates must fulfill to meet CAT 2017 eligibility criteria. For example, the General Category candidates must have at least 50% in graduation. Also, the graduation degree must have been obtained from a recognized university established by an act of parliament. The reserved category candidates must upload the required documents. In this article, the candidates can find complete details of CAT 2017 eligibility criteria including the reservation norms
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2017
With the announcement of the CAT 2017 notification, complete details about the eligibility norms will be available. However, it is expected that the eligibility norms of CAT 2017 will remain similar to that of the previous year. The candidates applying under the reserved categories must make sure that they upload the required documents.
Check the points given below for more details on the CAT 2017 eligibility criteria –
- The applicants must be a graduate or possess an equivalent qualification with a minimum of 50% marks or equivalent CGPA. The candidates who are applying under the Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Person With Disability (PWD) category must score at least 45% in the qualifying exam.
- The candidates who are in the final year of their qualifying exam are also eligible to apply. If the candidates are selected for the counselling rounds, then, a certificate from the Principal or registrar of their respective institutes must be submitted stating that they have completed all the requirements to obtain the Graduation or equivalent qualification.
- If the scores in the qualifying test are in CGPA or grades, then the conversion process will be based on procedure certified by the respective Institute or University from which the candidates belong.
- In case, if any of the Institute/University has no scheme to convert the CGPA to the equivalent marks, then the candidate’s CGPA will be divided by the maximum CGPA and then multiply the result with 100.
- The candidates with professional qualification such as CA/ CS/ ICWA can also apply for the CAT 2017. However, they must have scored the minimum percentages as mentioned above.
- There are chances that the eligibility will be verified by the IIMs at the various stages of the selection round. Therefore, the applicants must declare all the required details and maintain a valid email ID and mobile number throughout the selection process.
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2017 – Reservation Norms
As per the norms of Government of India, the IIMs follow the reservation norms. However, the candidates applying for CAT 2017 under a reserved category, then such candidates must follow the necessary steps to support their reservation. The table below provides the percentage of reservation of seats in the IIMs –
|CAT Reservation Norms 2017|
|1.||Scheduled Caste (SC)||15|
|2.||Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5|
|3.||Other Backward Class Non-Creamy (OBC NC)||27|
|4.||Person With Disability (PWD)||3|
Note: After successful CAT 2017 registration, candidates won’t be able to make changes in the registration procedure.
24Some important points for candidates applying under the reserved category must note the following points –
- Candidates applying under the ST or SC category must make sure that their caste/tribe is listed in the Government of India schedule. Also, the Caste/Tribe certificate must clearly state the necessary details.
- A copy of the reservation certificate is required to be uploaded while registering for CAT 2017.
- During the time of interview at the IIMs, candidates must make sure that they produce the reservation certificate and submit a copy of the same. Also, at the time of joining an IIM, these candidates must submit the certificate.
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2017 – About the equivalent qualification
Some important points about the qualification that is considered equivalent to the Bachelor’s degree are provided in the table below –
|CAT Eligibility Criteria 2017|
|1.||The qualification which is recognised by the Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.|
|2.||B.E. or B.Tech degrees (4 years after 10 + 2, post-B.Sc. or Post Diploma).|
|3.||Examinations equivalent to B.E. or B.Tech degrees i.e. professional societies recognised by the MHRD/UPSC/AICTE.|
|4.||If the qualification degree of the candidates is not among the above mentioned, then candidates must get an equivalence certificate from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.|
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2017 – Work Experience
As per the eligibility norms of CAT 2017, it is not mandatory for the candidates to have work experience. Every year, many fresh graduates make it to the IIMs. However, it must be noted that IIMs give some weight-age to work experience while making a final selection. Therefore, the candidates must clearly mention the work experience, if any, in the CAT application form 2017.
The application form of CAT 2017 will be available in online mode. First, the candidates must register for the test be entering a valid email ID and mobile number. Only after successful registration, the candidates will be able to access the application form of the test. It is necessary for the candidates to fill in the registration as well as the application form with the correct and necessary details. Any error in the application details may lead to the disqualification of the test. Candidates must make sure that they apply for the test i.e. fill in and successfully submit the application form before the end date. For more details regarding the CAT Application Form 2017, click on the sub-head provided above.