XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is a national level management entrance exam conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur. XAT 2018 is likely to be conducted on January 7, 2018. Close to one lakh candidates appear for XAT exam every year. After Common Admission Test (CAT), XAT is the most popular MBA entrance exam in India. It is also one of the most difficult ones. To crack this highly competitive exam, the students need to prepare extensively and put in a lot of hard work. XAT preparation tips 2018 can go a long way when it comes to helping the students keep their preparation on the right track. It is important for the XAT candidates to devise the right preparation strategy that will make preparations easier. With the right preparation strategy, the candidates can significantly improve their chances of scoring a good rank in XAT exam. Before discussing the preparation tips for XAT 2018, it is important to highlight the structure of the exam.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – The Exam Pattern
The main purpose of XAT 2018 exam is to test the candidates’ comprehension skills, logical reasoning skills and the ability to make the right decisions quickly. XAT exam is conducted in pen and paper mode. The total duration of the exam is 210 minutes (3.5 hours). XAT exam is divided into 2 parts – Paper 1 and Paper 2. The Paper 1 comprises of 3 sections – Verbal & Logical Ability, Decision Making, and Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation. The Paper 2, on the other hand, comprises of two sections – General Knowledge and Essay Writing. In paper 1, only Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) are asked and each question carries one mark. For every wrong answer 0.25 marks will be deducted.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Verbal and Logical Ability
This section tests the candidates on their English language skills. The questions are based on analogies, sentence correction, reading comprehension, para jumble etc. Here are some useful tips for preparing for this section –
- Reading – To prepare for this section of XAT exam, the candidates must develop a habit of reading. The candidates can start with reading articles in newspaper and magazines and later move on to columns, editorials and non-fiction books.
- Vocabulary – A strong vocabulary will make it easier for the candidates to score good marks in this section. Apart from reading, there are several ways to improve vocabulary. These days, there are many online tools that can prove to be very useful in this regard. The candidates must keep a dictionary handy at all times. The candidates can also use techniques like ‘visual association’ to remember words. In visual association, the candidates can imagine a visual image and relate it with the meaning of the word.
- Grammar – A lot of questions in this section are related to identification and correction of grammatical errors. Learning basic grammar rules and solving online exercises are good ways to improve grammar skills. Also, the candidates should practice forming meaningful sentences as this will make it easier for them to understand the grammar rules.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
In this section, the candidates are tested on their numerical ability. The questions are asked from topics like probability, statistics, arithmetic, trigonometry, graphs, speed & distance etc. Here are some useful tips for preparing for QA & DI section of XAT 2018 –
- Start with the Basics – Clearing the basic concepts is the first step when it comes to preparing for QA & DI section of XAT. Before moving to the advanced questions, the candidates should practice simpler and basic questions first. It is important to learn all the important formulas and theorems. The candidates must ensure that they buy a good preparation book as it will make preparation a lot easier.
- Practice – Practice one of the most important preparation tips for XAT 2018. And in QA section, practice is the key to success. The candidates must practice all types of questions. It’s best to solve the easier questions first before moving to the more difficult ones. Mock tests and sample papers can prove to be very useful in this regard.
- Learn shortcuts – Spending too much time in calculations can make it difficult for the candidates to attempt all the questions in the exam. Learning shortcuts is a great way to improve speed. It will help the candidates attempt more questions in less time.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Decision Making
In this section, a case study is presented to the students and the candidates are asked to answer the questions based on it. Here are some useful tips for preparing for Decision Making section of XAT 2018 –
- A Logical Approach – Decision making is different from logical ability. However, the candidates need to follow a logical approach for solving the questions asked in the decision making section. The information provided must be logically interpreted by the candidates to arrive at the right decision.
- Types of Questions – The questions in this section can be divided into two parts – single questions passage and multiple questions passage. Generally, single questions passage are easier to solve and are straightforward. Therefore, attempting them first can be a good idea.
- Previous Year Papers – Practicing previous year question papers is one of the best ways to do well in this section. It will also help the candidates gauge their level of understanding and analyze the questions properly.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Essay Writing
Essay writing can prove to be tricky for many candidates. In Paper 2, the candidates are asked to write a 200 words essay within 20 minutes. Here are some useful tips for essay writing –
- Structure – The candidates must make sure that the essay has a proper structure. It should start with an introduction, must have a body and should end with a conclusion. The introduction should be written in such a way that it generates interests in the essay. The conclusion must be in sync with the points that the candidate has made in the essay.
- Using the Right Words and Facts – It is important to use the right words and facts throughout the essay. It’s best avoid the facts that the candidate is not sure about. The correct usage of words can leave a positive impression in the mind of the examiner and help the candidate fetch higher marks.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – General Knowledge
In this section, the questions are asked from a wide variety of topics such as history, politics, business, economics, literature, current affairs etc. Given below are some useful XAT 2018 preparation tips for GK section –
- Stay Updated – Right from reading the newspapers to browsing the news online, there are several ways to stay updated on latest happenings around the world. The candidates can even install news applications on their smartphones for latest updates.
- Keep Notes – Writing short notes is a good idea as it will make it easier for the candidates to memorize and revise the information. A lot of things are going on across the world and remembering everything can prove to be a difficult task. Keeping notes will prove to be very useful.
XAT 2018 Preparation Tips – General Tips
- Identify the Strengths and Weaknesses – When it comes to preparing for XAT 2018, identifying the strong and weak areas is one of the most important steps that the candidates need to take. With a clear understanding of one’s strong and weak areas, the candidates can work towards converting their weaknesses into strengths.
- Manage Time Properly – As is the case with any other exam, managing time properly in XAT exam is of great importance. It may sound obvious but the candidates need to ensure that they don’t spend excess time on a particular question. They should equally divide the time between different sections and should attempt the easier questions first.
- Study Plan – Creating a study plan is of paramount importance. While most candidates understand the significance of creating a plan, they often end up creating a plan which is not practical or very difficult to execute. This should be avoided. Also, while creating a study plan, the candidates must give more time to the topics that they find difficult.
- Practice – Nothing can be achieved without practice. To crack XAT 2018 exam, the candidates need to practice all the sections. This can be done with the help of mock tests and sample papers. Practice will not just improve accuracy but will also enhance the speed.
- Good Health – Last but not the least, maintaining good physical and mental health is important. As the exam approaches, many students end up neglecting proper sleep. This can have a very negative impact on the final result and outcome. Exercising regularly, taking good diet and proper rest are some of the ways to maintain good health.
XAT is a highly competitive exam and remembering the above-mentioned XAT preparation tips 2018 can make it easier for the candidates to get a good XAT score. The candidates are advised to visit this article regularly for latest information on XAT 2018 exam.