XAT 2018 – Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is a management entrance test for admission to the prestigious XLRI -Xavier School of Management. XAT exam is conducted by XLRI on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI). Around 150 B-schools across India offer admissions to various management programmes on the basis of XAT scores. Every year, the exam is held in several cities across India and also at international locations. XAT 2018 will be conducted in the month of January 2018. The application process for the exam is likely to start in mid-August 2017. The candidates with a Bachelor’s degree can apply for the exam. XAT exam is counted among the most competitive exams in India and around 1 lakh candidates take this exam every year. The application process is entirely online. For Indian candidates who are seeking admission in XLRI, it is essential to appear in XAT exam. On the basis of this exam, the candidates are shortlisted for the next rounds. Read this article for complete information on XAT 2018 exam including eligibility, application form, admit card, result, cut off and other details.
XAT 2018 – In a Nutshell
- Exam Name – Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT)
- Exam Level – National
- Conducted by – XLRI, Jamshedpur
- Scores Accepted by – Around 150 Institutes
- Mode of Exam – Pen and Paper based
- Exam Duration – 210 minutes
- Application Process Starts – August 2017
- Exam Date – January, 2018
The notification of XAT 2018 is expected to be released in the last week of July, 2017. The application process for XAT 2018 will start in the month of August, 2017 and the exam will be held in the month of January, 2018. The official XAT bulletin is yet to be announced. The table given below provides a tentative schedule of XAT 2018 test. The table will be updated once the official announcement is made.
|S. No.||Event||Date (Tentative)|
|1||Notification Releases||July, 2017|
|2||Application Process Starts||August, 2017|
|3||Application Process Ends||December, 2017|
|4||Issue of Admit Card||December, 2017|
|6||Announcement of Result||January, 2017|
There are certain eligibility conditions that every candidate must fulfill to appear for XAT 2018 exam. The candidate must hold a recognized Bachelor’s degree of minimum three years duration. The candidates in the final year of their graduation are also eligible to apply. It is mandatory for the Indian residents who are seeking admission in XLRI and member institutes to appear for XAT exam. GMAT scores are accepted only in the case of NRI and foreign candidates.
The candidates need to fill the application form of XAT 2018 exam online. The application process will start in mid-August, 2017. It is important for the candidates to read all the instructions carefully before submitting the application form. Here is a step-by-step process to fill and submit XAT application form 2018 –
- Firstly, the candidates need to register for the XAT exam online using their email id. A unique XAT ID will be created and the candidates can use it to log in.
- The candidates need to create a profile, which involves providing all the personal details such as name, mailing address, date of birth, category etc.The candidates also need to upload a photo.
- The candidates need to fill the educational qualifications and also provide details of work experience.
While the application form must be submitted online, the candidates also have the option to submit the application fee through cash and demand draft. The application fee is expected to be Rs. 1600.
The admit card for XAT 2018 will be issued to all the candidates who successfully complete the application process and make the necessary payment. Moreover, every candidate needs to confirm his/ her photo and signature. Once this is done, the admit card will be generated and the candidates will be able to download it. It must be noted that the XAT 2018 admit card will only be made available online. They will not be sent to the candidates via post or courier. The candidates should download and print the admit card. It is mandatory for the candidates to carry the admit card to the examination centres. Without a valid admit card, a candidate cannot sit for XAT 2018 exam.
XAT is a pen and paper based test of three and a half hour duration. It is divided into 2 parts – Paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 comprises of the following sections –
- Quantitative Ability
- English Language and Logical Reasoning
- Decision Making
Only objective type questions are asked in the above-mentioned sections.
Paper 2 comprises of the following sections-
- General Knowledge
- Essay Writing
It is important to note that every question carries equal marks. In Paper 1, there is negative marking. For every wrong answer, 0.25 mark will be deducted. Also, the candidates can only leave up to 12 questions unattempted. If a candidate leaves more than 12 questions unattempted, 0.5 marks will be deducted from a candidate’s score.
XAT is a national level exam conducted all across the country. XAT 2018 will be held in 47 cities in India including Delhi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Amritsar, Patna, Varanasi, Pune, Surat, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Chennai, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kanpur Indore Ranchi etc. Apart from the Indian cities, the exam will also be held in international cities such as Dubai and Kathmandu. MBA aspirants who are living outside India (except in Dubai and Kathmandu) and wish to pursue an MBA programme from XLRI, can apply through GMAT score.
The candidates who want to crack the XAT 2018 exam need to have an understanding of the type of questions asked in the exam. XAT syllabus is not released officially. However, based on previous years’ question papers, there are several topics that the students need to focus on.
- Quantitative AbilityThe questions in the quantitative section are generally asked from the topics like arithmetic, geometry, linear equations, graphs, probability, algebra, profit and loss statistics, logarithm and progressions, trigonometry etc.
- Verbal AbilityIn the Verbal ability section, the candidates can expect questions related to jumbled paragraph, analogies, fill in the blanks, sentence correction, and reading comprehension.
- Decision MakingDecision making questions are based on calendars, bar graphs, cubes, line charts, blood relations, family tree etc. For complete information on these topics, the students can check the XAT 2018 syllabus article.
To shortlist the candidates, XLRI and other participating institutes release their cutoffs. The candidates who meet the cutoffs are invited for further rounds that include Written Ability Test and Personal Interview. It must be noted that the selection procedure may vary from institute to institute. While some of the institutes conduct Group Discussion, others may include Group Activity to shortlist the candidates. If we talk specifically of XLRI, the selection process includes GD and PI rounds. Apart from the XAT 2018 score, a candidate’s performance in GD and PI will also be taken into consideration for final selection. Moreover, many of the XAT participating institutes also take into account other important factors to shortlist the candidates that include the past academic record and work experience. In some of the institutes, work experience can give the students an edge over fresh graduates.
Apart from XLRI, the XAT scores are accepted by numerous institutes all across the country. XAT participating institutes can be classified into two categories – Member Institutes and Institutes using XAT Scores.
- Member InstitutesThere are 11 Member Institutes that include Loyola Institute of Business Administration, Xavier Institute of Management and Mount Carmel Institute of Management.
- Institutes Using XAT Score In the second category (Institutes using XAT scores), there are around 150 institutes that use XAT scores to shortlist the candidates. Some of them include Amrita School of Business, Birla Institute of Management Technology, Acharya School of Management, EMPI Business School, FORE School of Management, Jaipuria Institute of Management, S P Jain Institute of Management & Research. The candidates can check the complete list by visiting the XAT participating institutes article.
The result of XAT 2018 exam is likely to be announced in the last week of January, 2018. On the basis of XAT result, the candidates can seek admission in XLRI and other participating institutes across the nation. XAT 2018 score will remain valid for one year. It must be noted that the result will only be made available online. The candidates will be able to download their score card on the basis of their login details. Also, the percentage and percentile of General Knowledge section will not be a part of Total percentage and percentile. It will be calculated independently.
XAT Cut off 2018
XLRI will announce the official cut off of XAT 2018 along with the result in the last week January, 2018. Only the candidates who meet the minimum cutoff percentile will be eligible for the next rounds. The table given below provides official XLRI XAT 2017 cut off scores –
|Verbal Ability||79.46||76.69||5 and above|
|Decision Making||76.84||71.628||5 and above|
|Quantitative Ability||88.7||70.07||6 and above|
|Total XLRI XAT 2017 Cutoff||96||92.55||22 and above|
The Answer Key for XAT 2018 exam is likely to be released around mid-January, 2018. The Answer Key contains the correct answers to all the questions asked in the exam. Apart from the official Answer Key, the candidates will also be able to access the unofficial Answer Keys that are released by several coaching institutes.
- XAT Answer Key can be used by the candidates for calculating their expected score.
- The candidates can compare the answers given in the Answer Key with their attempted answers. This will give an idea about the chances that a candidate stands of getting admission into XLRI and other B-schools that offer admission on the basis of XAT score.
XLRI is counted among the most prestigious management institutes in the country. A large number of candidates appear for XAT exam every year. With the right preparations strategy, the candidates can realize their dream of studying in XLRI and other participating institutes that accept XAT score. In this article, the candidates can find all information on XAT 2018.