CAT Preparation Tips 2017 – Common Admission Test (CAT) 2017 is a gateway to the prestigious IIMs and other B-Schools in India. CAT 2017 is scheduled to be held on November 26, 2017. Cracking the CAT is not an easy task. However, with the right strategy and CAT preparation tips 2017, candidates can score a good percentile in CAT 2017 exam. It is important for the candidates to start the preparations early. However, for many candidates, one of the most difficult questions to answer is ‘how to prepare for CAT’. When it comes to CAT preparations, there are many important things that should be kept in mind. To begin with, the candidates need to gain an understanding of the exam pattern and syllabus. Also, with the help of CAT preparation tips 2017, the candidates must formulate an effective exam strategy that will help them crack the exam. From finding the right books to taking mock tests, there are several ways to prepare for CAT 2017. In this article, we bring to you useful CAT preparation tips 2017 that will make your preparations easier.
CAT Preparation Tips & Strategies
To prepare early for CAT 2017, candidates can join a coaching Institute like T.I.M.E., Career Launcher, etc. However, if the aspirants are unable to join an Institute for coaching, then they can follow the simple CAT preparation tips 2017 given below –
- Know your syllabus
- Collect Books for CAT
Know your Syllabus – The candidates must be familiar with the syllabus for CAT 2017. The syllabus for CAT is as follows – Mathematics and Data Interpretation, English & Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning.
Depending on the time left for the exam date, you can set the priority for the section you need to work more. For e.g. you are comfortable with Mathematics and Data Interpretation but you freak out when it comes to English section, then work more on the English part.
Once you identify your weakness and strength, then it is time to take a decision on the CAT Preparation Books and other materials. There are numerous resources on Preparation of CAT, which is available online as well as offline. Therefore, the decision on the resources must be made well.
Collect Books for CAT – Choosing the right books is one of the most important CAT preparation tips 2017. As mentioned earlier, the list of books recommended for CAT preparation is humongous. Therefore, list of a few important books according to the sections is given here:
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning|
You can also opt for the reading materials provided by the Coaching Institutes like IMS or CI and T.I.M.E. However, candidates can also go for some fiction or non-fiction novels, books, magazines, articles etc. to sharpen their vocabulary skills.
Other sources or materials are – T.I.M.E. booklets, Groups on Social Networking Sites, test series of Olive Board, Bullseye & IMS, Newspapers, Magazines and, of course, the Internet.
Practice & Read – Practicing for any exam is like making yourself stronger than before. For CAT 2017, candidates are requested to practice section-wise.
Mathematics and Data Interpretation: Urban legends say that the reading materials for Mathematics and Data Interpretation from T.I.M.E. cover the entire CAT syllabus. Practicing the exercises after each chapter will benefit you well. There are other books which are mostly recommended by top scorers of CAT, which are –
- How To Prepare For DI & Logical Reasoning by Arun Sharma
- The Pearson Guide to Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning for the CAT (With CD) by Nishit K. Sinha Publisher: Pearson
- NCERT Mathematics books for 8th, 9th & 10th standard
- CBSE Mathematics books for 8th, 9th & 10th standard
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT Common Admission Test, Author: Arun Sharma
- Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Examinations by Guha Abhijit
- Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT by Nishit Sinha
- The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Nishit Sinha
English and Reading Comprehension – If your English is not up to the mark, then put efforts on your grammar. Materials for English and Comprehension are easily available, both in the form of hard copy and soft copy. Apart from grammar, there will be questions on vocabulary, therefore, you must also prepare for the vocabulary. To get hold of words, you can also look into online materials such as Barron’s 333 High-Frequency Word List – GRE. Keep using the words as much as possible which will help in revising.
To deal with the reading speed, read newspapers like “The Hindu” and “The Economic Times”. Books are also available for this part’s preparation; some of these books are –
- English Proficiency IMS India
- Word Power Made Easy by NORMAN LEWIS
- Wren and Martin English Grammar
- Word Power Made Easy by NORMAN LEWIS
- Student’s Companion By Wilfred D. Best Verbal Ability BY Arun Sharma
- 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary by Wilfred Funk and Norman Lewis.
- A Communicative Grammar of English By: Geoffrey Leech
- Business English and Communication By: Clark
- English PLUS I.C.S.E. For Class 10 by Xavier Pinto
Logical Reasoning – This is one of the trickiest section and it is a fact that Reasoning can’t be taught. Many of the CAT preparation tips 2017 focus on finding the right books for this section. Books are available to give tips on Reasoning, some of the most recommended books are –
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT Common Admission by Arun Sharma Publisher: TMH
- The Pearson Guide To Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT by Nishit K. Sinha Publisher: Pearson
- A Modern Approach To Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning Revised Edition by R. S. Aggarwal Publisher: S. Chand Price
- Trishna’s Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT And Other MBA Examinations by TIME Publisher: Pearson
Apart from the above-mentioned books and websites, there are a few Business Magazines that will help to prepare for CAT and in the later stages. Some of these magazines are –
- Business Line by The Hindu Group
- Business Today by India Today Group
- Business World
- Management Compass Career Launcher
- Business & Management Chronicle by Chronicle Publications
- Competition Success Review
Mocks test are one of the important phases in the CAT preparation. Appearing for Mock Test will test your skills and also help you to identify your weakness and strength. Most top scorers have enrolled into two or more different mock series. If you are able to crack down 30 to 40 mock tests leading up to 10 days of the exam post is quite relaxing. Constantly practicing mock tests will improve your accuracy in each attempt. There are many mock tests (paid and unpaid) available online. Many coaching institutes prepare their own mock tests and make them available online. Apart from mock tests, candidates can also opt for CAT Sample Papers. These Sample Papers for CAT are easily available online over the Internet.
Relax – Taking too much of tension about the exam is a ticket to making things worse. It is true that performing under pressure is not easy and many may stumble down. Studying for long hours is not always possible, therefore, most top scorers of CAT suggest doing some activities that ease the tension and mind. Be relaxed on the exam day and don’t fret on the level of difficulty of the question. The most important thing to remember is to concentrate on accuracy rather than overall attempts.
Keeping the above-mentioned CAT preparation tips 2017 in mind will make your CAT preparations easier. All the Best and May the Force Be With You.
- How to plan your study for CAT
- Best Books for CAT Preparation
- Is it a good idea to quit job for CAT preparation
- Confused from where to begin your CAT preparation
- Should MBA be always done from top B-School
- IM CAT 2016 Preparation Tips & Tricks
- CAT Previous Year Question Paper
- No Coaching No CAT, Not True..!!
- CAT Frequently Asked Questions
- What role do Mock Tests play in cracking CAT
- Top B-schools That Accept CAT Score
- CAT 2015 Topper and their stories of success