Topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile: Mathematics or Quantitative Aptitude (QA), as it is known in the Common Admission Test, is a section which offers scope to score 100 percentile. In CAT 2017, there will be around 30 to 35 questions (MCQs and non-MCQs combined) from the QA section. This is a golden chance for candidates with a mathematical and statistical background at the undergraduate level to attempt all the questions and get all the answers right. But for that, they must know the topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile, that magic number eluding most. Knowing these will not only help them prepare better but also go into the exam with a lot of confidence knowing they have all bases covered and are good to go. Given below are the topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile based on which candidates must practice questions.
- Numbers: This topic in Quantitative Aptitude includes Number Line, Operations on Numbers and Series of Numbers. Candidates must practice questions on these sub-topics of numbers if they are to handle questions based on them in CAT 2017 confidently. Numbers must be the first topic they should start practice on of all the topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile.
- Numbers systems: The next topic among all those topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile is numbers systems, which is further segregated into sub-topics such as GCD (greatest common divisor), HCF (highest common factor), LCM (least common multiple), divisibility, base system and the Remainder Theorem. Again, candidates can afford no let-down when it comes to practicing questions based on them as there will be at least 2 to 3 questions on numbers systems in CAT 2017.
- Progressions: Progressions cover arithmetic progressions, geometric progressions, harmonic progressions and theorems related with progressions. Candidates taking CAT 2017 must practice questions on all of these progressions from sample papers and other types of CAT preparatory material in order to successfully attempt those 3-4 questions that will be based on these in the Quant section of CAT 2017. Progressions is the next stop, among topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile.
- Arithmetic and word-based problems: This topic in Quantitative Aptitude covers additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions, percentage calculations, ratio comparisons and squares & cubes of numbers. CAT sample papers have plenty of questions based on these and candidates must practice each of them to get a firm command over these. An important one among topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile.
- Percentages: Percentages include the concept of percentage change and percentage rule for calculating percentage value through additions. There are plenty of questions based on these in previous years’ CAT question papers and sample papers. Practicing all of them will ensure candidates go into CAT 2017 confident of solving percentage based questions. Again, this one takes top spot among topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile.
- Profit and loss interest: Profit and loss in Quant includes sub-topics such as simple interest, compound interest, depreciation of value and population. Again, there will be 3 to 4 questions based on on profit and loss and practicing enough questions on these topics would mean candidates put themselves in a strong position going into CAT 2017.
- Ratio, proportion and variation: One of the most important topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile, this one can simply not be ignored. Candidates must practice questions based on ratio and proportion in order to strengthen their command on this topic as they will be challenged with a minimum of 3 questions in the Quant section of CAT 2017.
- Time and work, speed and distance: This topic of Quant in CAT 2017 will be the basis of questions testing candidates on the applications of speed, distance and time. If one has practiced enough of these as part of preparation, then questions based on these should pose minimum challenge on the day of the exam. One of the most important topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile.
- Averages: Questions on averages will be based on averages and alligations, the latter being used for solving arithmetic problems related to the mixture of ingredients. Averages are a very important topic in Quant, undoubtedly one of the most important topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile.
- Geometry and Mensuration: One of the toughest topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile, geometry and mensuration cover straight lines, polygons, triangles, quadrilaterals, hexagons, circles, ellipses and stars. Only can comprehensive practice ensure questions based on these in Quant are attempted well.
- Algebra functions: Another one among the tougher topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile, algebraic functions cover even and odd functions, shifting of grahs, combining movements, inequalities and logarithms. Questions on all of these must be practiced in order to successfully attempt the ones in CAT 2017.
These are the most important topics to cover in Quant to score 99 percentile. Start your practice today.