Essay Writing Tips for XAT 2017 – XLRI conducted the Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) 2017 on January 08, 2017 in the same test pattern as last year. Unlike most MBA entrance test, for XAT the candidates are required to write an essay in Part 2 of the paper. Writing an essay is a tricky part and it carries a good weightage of marks. The word limit for the essay is around 200 words and the candidates must complete it within 20 minutes. While writing the essay, the candidates must make sure it is structured and they include all the points that will be beneficial in writing an impressive essay. Sometimes, the candidates add too many points in the essay which makes the essay to deviate from the main topic. Know about the essay writing tips for XAT 2017 from the article below.
Essay Writing Tips for XAT 2017
The rules of writing remain the same, only with the added constraints of limited time and space. As told above, the students will be given 20 minutes to write the essay on the given topic and the word limit is 200 words. It is very important for the candidates to utilise these 20 minutes well and to write a good essay which can effectively showcase the views regarding the given topic. There are some important points which must be kept in mind while writing the essay in the examination. These illustrated points can make the essay not only impressive but also help in scoring good marks in this particular section.
1. Essay should have a structure
Before you begin writing, just think of the basics mentioned below and quickly allocate 1/3rd of the total time in making the whole structure of the essay in rough area of the sheet. It is important that your essay has a proper structure. An essay must have 3 sections, which are as follow –
Introduction – Analyze the topic and assemble each and every point regarding that essay. A brief introductory paragraph that generates interest. Avoid boring definitions and facts that are way to obvious to be stated. Instead. start with a small anecdote or a metaphorical story whose relevance can be clearly seen by an 11th grader, yet it is not so stupid.
Body – This can range from 1 to 2 paragraphs depending on the overall flow of the essay. The important thing to note here is that the body while beginning must continue with the flow of the introduction. However, while ending, it must lead to the third part of the structure i.e. the conclusion.
Conclusion – A seemingly small but very important part. This could make or break your essay. This is because conclusion is something every examiner would read, and would judge the whole essay on the basis of whether the conclusion was in sync with what was written earlier or was it hastily written in the last 20 seconds.
2. Correct usage of words, facts and knowledge
Refrain from using words or facts whose meaning you are not sure of. In fact, a better solution would be to start building your vocabulary from today itself as well as enhancing your knowledge about every sphere of life as much as you can. The important thing to keep in mind here is consistency. Practice every single day.
Quick Essay Writing Tips for XAT 2017
- Write the essay in separate paragraphs. Do not make the single paragraph for adding information.
- Mark bullets or points so as to involve the main points.
- Do not write slangs and jargon.
- Candidates are advised not to write abbreviations. Write the whole word as required.
- Focus on the issue and not on the peripheries.
Essay Writing Tips for XAT 2017 – How to Prepare for this section?
As essay writing is the important section of the exam hence it becomes important to know how you can prepare yourself for essay writing.
- Regularly read newspapers, news websites, news fiction.
- Regular discussion with peer groups, seniors and mentors.
- Keep knowledge of the recent issues, events, happenings of the nations.
- Read informative articles on the internet.
- Accurate use of grammar and words is obligatory. As wrong usage of any of them may lead the essay in a wrong direction.
- Raise the vocabulary level by reading dictionary etc.
- Last but not the least, try keeping your handwriting neat as the presentation of essay always attract marks.
Essay topics which have come in the preceding XAT exam
Here is the list of the topics on which essay writing came in the preceding year’s XAT Exam. The candidates may refer to this list and prepare the topic similar to these for XAT 2017.
|Year||Topic of Essay|
|2000||Ships are safer in the harbour. But they are not meant for the same|
|2001||Economic Growth without distributive justice can only lead to violence|
|2002||Indian Economy in the Post WTO Era|
|2003||To give real service, one needs to add something that cannot be bought or measured, like sincerity and integrity|
|2004||Asked at the age of 83, as to which of his project would he choose as his master piece, Frank Lloyd Wright, the architect answered, The next one|
|2005||More than one billion Indians: A gigantic problem or a sea of opportunities|
|2006||India has one of the largest pool of talented manpower, but few innovations and patented products|
|2007||Economic growth without environmental damage – a mirage or a reality|
|2008||Gender Bias: Cause of Third World War|
|2009||The Inherent vice of Capitalism is unequal sharing of blessings and the inherent virtue of Socialism is equal sharing of misery|
|2010||Earth provide enough to satisfy every man’s need but not every man’s greed need|
|2011||The statesman who should attempt to direct private people in what manner they ought to employ their capitals would not only load himself with most unnecessary attention but assume an authority which could safely be trusted to no council and senate whatever, and which would nowhere be so dangerous as in the hands of man who has folly and presumption enough to fancy himself fit to exercise it|
|2012||· Poverty is a big menace in India. Due to its complexity and magnitude, most of the government initiatives fail|
· Poverty is a consequence of failure of government policies due to the fact that governments do not target the root causes
|2013||Corruption is the root cause of economic slowdown in India|
|2016||Technology and nature are natural enemies|
Essay Writing Tips for XAT 2017 – Expected Topics
The topics will revolve around current affairs, political debates and other important events happening in the country. To give an idea to the candidates, some of the topics have been listed below. The candidates can prepare these topics along with other important ones.
- Talent wins games, but teamwork wins championships
- To dream by night is to escape life, to dream by day is to make it happen
- Listening is a dying art
- It is the Society that bears the brunt of terrorism
- Competition is not the struggle but a war which has to be won
- Activism in India is the key to survival of democracy
These are some of the basics and useful Essay Writing Tips for XAT 2017, which if followed would improve your essay writing skills by leaps and bounds.
- Not Taking Coaching, Can I Still Crack XAT?
- XAT Exam Trend – Previous 10 Year Exam Analysis
- How to Prepare GK Section for XAT 2017
- XAT 2017 Sectional Preparation
- Not Taking Coaching, Can I Still Crack XAT?
- Mantra to Score 99+ Percentile in XAT
- Indian B-Schools in World Top 30 Ranks
Latest posts by Team EC (see all)
- SNAP Answer Key 2017 - August 12, 2017
- IIM Calcutta Announces Both Sectional and Overall Percentile Cutoffs for PGP 2018-20 - August 10, 2017
- IIM Ahmedabad Announces Both Sectional and Overall Percentile Cutoffs for PGP 2018-20 - August 8, 2017