XAT 2018 – XLRI Jamshedpur, the conducting body of Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) 2018, has released the official notification of the exam. XAT 2018 will be conducted on January 7, 2018 (Sunday) from 10 am to 1.35 pm. For the first time, XAT will be conducted in online mode. MBA aspirants who are planning to appear for this exam can fill and submit the XAT application form from August 16 to November 30, 2017. The application form of XAT 2018 must be filled and submitted online. Along with the form, the candidates are also required to pay a registration fee of Rs. 1650. Anyone with a Bachelor’s degree of three years duration is eligible to apply for the exam. This year, the duration of the exam will be 3 hours and thirty five minutes. XAT 2018 will be conducted in 47 cities across India. It will also be held in 2 international cities (Dubai & Kathmandu). XAT is one of the oldest management entrance exams in India. Around 90,000 MBA aspirants appear for this exam every year. Apart from the XLRI, XAT scores are accepted by around 150 other management institutes across the country. In this article, candidates can find latest and updates information on XAT 2018 exam including XAT eligibility criteria, application form, important dates, exam pattern etc.
XAT 2018 – In a Nutshell
- Exam Name – Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT)
- Exam Level – National
- Conducted by – XLRI, Jamshedpur
- Scores Accepted by – Around 150 Institutes
- Mode of Exam – Online
- Exam Duration – 3 hours & 35 minutes
- Types of Questions – Objective and Subjective
- Number of Test Cities – 47 Indian Cities; 2 International Cities
- Minimum Eligibility – Bachelor’s Degree
- Application Process Starts – August 16, 2017
- Exam Date – January 7, 2018
XAT 2018 Dates
The XAT 2018 notification has been released on August 14, 2017. The notification provides the XAT important dates 2018. To avoid missing deadlines, students must get familiar with the test schedule. The table below provides the list of tentative dates of Xavier Aptitude Test 2018.
Xavier Aptitude Test Important Dates 2018
|1.||Release of notification||August 14, 2017|
|2.||Application process starts||August 16, 2017|
|3.||Last date to apply||November 30, 2017|
|4.||Download admit card||December 20, 2017 onwards|
|5.||XAT 2018 to be held on||January 07, 2018 (10 am to 1.35 pm)|
|6.||Issuance of official answer key||Third week of January 2018|
|7.||Release of OMR sheet & Score Card||Third week of January 2018|
|8.||Result to be announced on||By January 31, 2018|
Note: The list of dates provided above will be updated according to the notification.
There are certain eligibility conditions that every candidate must fulfil to appear for XAT 2018 exam. The candidate must hold a recognised Bachelor’s degree of minimum three years duration. Those completing their final examination by June 10, 2018 are also eligible to apply. It is mandatory for the Indian residents who are seeking admission in XLRI and member institutes to appear for XAT exam. GMAT scores are accepted only in the case of NRI and foreign candidates.
The application form of XAT 2018 is available from August 16, 2017. Once the candidates fulfil all the eligibility norms of the test, they can start applying for the entrance test. The aspirants must remember that they are required to enter all the details correctly and submit the form within the end date. The candidates must fill and submit the XAT application form latest by November 30, 2017. The application process is summarised in the following steps provided below. However, candidates can click on the sub-head above to get the complete details on XAT registration and application process.
- Step 1: The candidates applying for the XAT 2018 are required to get themselves registered after entering all the required details. On successful registration, candidates will be provided with the login credentials.
- Step 2: Login with the provided credentials to start applying for the test. Fill in and select the required fields.
- Step 3: Pay the application fee through the provided payment gateways. On successful payment and conclusion of the application process, candidates will be sent a confirmation email.
- Step 4: Applicants paying the fee via Demand Draft are required to print the confirmation page and send it to XLRI, Jamshedpur office.
The admit card for XAT 2018 exam will be available for download from December 20, 2017 onward. The hall ticket will be issued to all the candidates who successfully complete the application process and make the necessary payment. Moreover, every candidate needs to confirm his/ her photo and signature. Once this is done, the admit card will be generated and the candidates will be able to download it. It must be noted that the XAT 2018 admit card will only be made available online. They will not be sent to the candidates via post or courier. The candidates should download and print the admit card. It is mandatory for the candidates to carry the admit card to the examination centres. Without a valid admit card, a candidate cannot sit for the exam.
XAT 2018 is being held in online mode. The duration of the exam is 3 hours and 35 minutes. It is divided into 2 parts – Paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 comprises of the following sections –
- Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning
- Decision Making
- Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Only objective type questions are asked in the above-mentioned sections.
Paper 2 comprises of the following sections-
- General Knowledge
- Essay Writing
It is important to note that every question carries equal marks. In Paper 1, there is negative marking. For every wrong answer, 0.25 mark will be deducted. Also, the candidates can only leave up to 12 questions unattempted. If a candidate leaves more than 12 questions unattempted, 0.5 marks will be deducted from a candidate’s score.
XAT is a national level management entrance exam taken by a large number of MBA aspirants across India and abroad. Last year, the exam was conducted in 47 Indian cities and 2 international locations – Dubai and Kathmandu. Depending on the number of the candidates, XLRI may increase the number of test cities. In the table given below, the candidates can find the names of all the cities where the test was held last year.
The candidates who want to crack the XAT 2018 exam need to have an understanding of the type of questions asked in the exam. The syllabus is not released officially. However, based on previous years’ question papers, there are several topics that the students need to focus on.
- Quantitative Ability – The questions in the quantitative section are generally asked from the topics like arithmetic, geometry, linear equations, graphs, probability, algebra, profit and loss statistics, logarithm and progressions, trigonometry etc.
- Verbal Ability – In the Verbal Ability section, the candidates can expect questions related to jumbled paragraph, analogies, fill in the blanks, sentence correction, and reading comprehension.
- Decision Making – Decision making questions are based on calendars, bar graphs, cubes, line charts, blood relations, family tree etc. For complete information on these topics, the students can check the XAT 2018 syllabus article.
To shortlist the candidates, XLRI and other participating institutes release their cutoffs. The candidates who meet the cutoffs are invited for further rounds that include Written Ability Test and Personal Interview. It must be noted that the selection procedure may vary from institute to institute. While some of the institutes conduct Group Discussion, others may include Group Activity to shortlist the candidates. If we talk specifically of XLRI, the selection process includes GD and PI rounds. Apart from the XAT 2018 score, a candidate’s performance in GD and PI will also be taken into consideration for final selection. Moreover, many of the participating institutes also take into account other important factors to shortlist the candidates that include the past academic record and work experience. In some of the institutes, work experience can give the students an edge over fresh graduates.
Apart from XLRI, the XAT scores are accepted by numerous institutes all across the country. XAT participating institutes can be classified into two categories – Member Institutes and Institutes using XAT Scores.
- Member Institutes There is 11 Member Institutes that include Loyola Institute of Business Administration, Xavier Institute of Management and Mount Carmel Institute of Management.
- Institutes using XAT Score in the second category (Institutes using XAT scores), there are around 150 institutes to shortlist the candidates. Some of them include Amrita School of Business, Birla Institute of Management Technology, Acharya School of Management, EMPI Business School, FORE School of Management, Jaipuria Institute of Management, S P Jain Institute of Management & Research. The candidates can check the complete list by visiting the participating institute’s article.
The result of XAT 2018 exam will be announced by January 31, 2018. On the basis of result, the candidates can seek admission in XLRI and other participating institutes across the nation. XAT 2018 score will remain valid for one year. It must be noted that the result will only be made available online. The candidates will be able to download their score card on the basis of their login details. Also, the percentage and percentile of General Knowledge section will not be a part of Total percentage and percentile. It will be calculated independently.
XLRI will announce the official cut off of XAT 2018 along with the result in the last week January, 2018. Only the candidates who meet the minimum cutoff percentile will be eligible for the next rounds. The table given below provides official XLRI cut off scores –
|Verbal Ability||79.46||76.69||5 and above|
|Decision Making||76.84||71.628||5 and above|
|Quantitative Ability||88.7||70.07||6 and above|
|Total XLRI XAT 2017 Cutoff||96||92.55||22 and above|
The Answer Key for XAT 2018 exam is likely to be released around mid-January, 2018. The Answer Key contains the correct answers to all the questions asked in the exam. Apart from the official Answer Key, the candidates will also be able to access the unofficial Answer Keys that are released by several coaching institutes.
- Answer Key can be used by the candidates for calculating their expected score.
- The candidates can compare the answers given in the Answer Key with their attempted answers. This will give an idea about the chances that a candidate stands for getting admission into XLRI and other B-schools that offer admission on the basis of XAT score.
XLRI is counted among the most prestigious management institutes in the country. A large number of candidates appear for the test exam every year. With the right preparations strategy, the candidates can realise their dream of studying in XLRI and other participating institutes that accept the score. In this article, the candidates can find all information on XAT 2018.