It is being rumored that the NITs 2016 admission will only be held against JEE Main score and rank. There is a possibility that a government-appointed panel will propose scrapping of class XII marks for determining the rank of the candidates.
“We would be recommending scrapping of weightages given to board marks,” - said Director of IIT Bombay and a member of the panel, Devang Khakhar
Till now, the admission in the institutes is granted on the basis of JEE Main rank. The rank of the candidates was determinate on the basis of class XII and JEE Main scores. To do so, 40% weightage was given to class XII score. Whereas, the remaining 60% was given to JEE Main score. Now, however, 100% weightage will be given to JEE Main score, if the proposal is accepted.
The cause of such alteration, in the NITs admission procedure, can be due to the delay and perplexity in the issuance of JEE Main 2015 Rank. This year, CBSE was not able to deliver the JEE Main rank on time because as per it the state board did not submit the class XII mark on time. However, states boards released a statement that the scores were submitted to CBSE before the lapse of the deadline. Such, misguiding statement from such prestigious bodies created an environment of confusion and trouble among the candidates as well as the JoSAA authority.
Supporting this cause, a committee member said that the reform by UPA government, in JEE exam, of providing weightage to the board results has not proved to be as successful as it was meant to be.
“It was felt that the reform would put an end to the menace of coaching, but on the contrary, more students went for coaching to better their scores in board exams....Besides, attracting increased number of rural students into the premier technical institutes met with little success as the admission (rural:urban) ratio during the last three years remained practically unchanged at 30:70,” - as said by a committee member.
It is also expected that to compensate the existing admission policy, the panel will suggest securing 60 per cent marks or 70 percentile in class XII. This criteria is lower than the existing eligibility criteria and is believed to be more beneficial for the rural and urban entrants.
The final verdict on the proposal will be taken next month, by HRD Minister Smriti Irani chairs a meeting of the NIT council.
JEE Main 2016 Answer Key by Prerna Classes - Students who have appeared in the JEE Main 2016 can now check their answers and calculate their marks via JEE Main 2016 Answer Key by Prerna Classes. This answer key can now be downloaded from the links given here. The official answer key for JEE Min... Read more
HRD Ministry has sanctioned 60 supernumerary seats for the candidates of Andhra Pradesh, in NIT Warangal. Candidates who will be allocated in the supernumerary seats will be at par with OS and HS quota candidates at the NIT and will not be shifted to any other institute in between the academic... Read more
The application procedure of JEE Main 2016 will conclude till the end of December 2016. After this, candidates will be to check their JEE Main 2016 application form status from the candidate's login. The application status portal will help candidates in knowing whether their form has been... Read more
JEE Main 2016 Online Registration will start in the first week of November 2016. The process of registration would be held online only and no offline form would be released by CBSE. Candidates must read the eligibility criteria before applying, to check if they are eligible or not. The... Read more
In IIT-Delhi, for session 2015-16, almost 30 per cent UG engineering seats are still unfilled. Such has been revealed in the RTI report. Total 180 seats were sanctioned for three main branches and out of these only 124 were filled. Hence, the remaining 56 seats are still vacant for the current... Read more