Interview Tips for PSU Recruitment through GATE 2017 - Most of the PSU’s have commenced with their application process to recruit engineering graduates on the basis of GATE 2017 score. BHEL has recently released the call letters for interview of shortlisted candidates. Getting shortlisted for interview under PSU recruitment through GATE 2017 is dream come true for many applicants. As soon as the call letter for interview is issued, candidates start googling topics like how to face the PSU Interviews in their endeavor to be successful ? What questions will be asked? What to expect, What to Carry, How to be groomed are some typical questions that come in one’s mind. We have provided here Interview Tips for PSU recruitment through GATE 2017 for all the candidates siting for interviews in this session. Though no interview will be identical, there are certain protocols to be followed, certain patterns that can be observed from interview experience of previous candidates. Based on practical tips from experts and toppers who have faced PSU Interviews, we at Entrance Corner have compiled the Interview Tips for PSU Recruitment for the benefit of all those students who need the answer to their questions and who need to be successful in their interview attempts. The guidelines provided here are a compilation of the views of experts and the experiences of past students who have successfully gone on to make their careers in leading PSUs. Check the Interview Tips for PSU Recruitment through GATE 2017 to aid your preparation for the interview call in some of the PSUs that are recruiting this year on the basis of GATE 2017 Scores.
Crack IBPS Clerk + 8 Exams @299
Practice Unlimited Tests and get detailed Analysis
List of PSUs recruiting through GATE 2017: Click here
About GATE 2017: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) will be conducted by IIT Roorkee supported by six IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Madras, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur and IIT Kharagpur) and IISc Bangalore which are the zonal centres for GATE 2017.
Important GATE 2017 Features are:
- The organizing institute for GATE 2017 is IIT Roorkee assisted by six other IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Guwahati) and IISc Bangalore. These are also the GATE 2017 zonal centres aiding in the smooth functioning of the GATE 2017 Exam.
- GATE 2017 is completely online through the GATE Online Application Process System (GOAPS). It is a single platform for candidates to log in and access their application form, check their status, download their admit card, result, score etc
- The exam will be held for 23 papers with all the tests being computer based ones.
- Candidates have to use the Virtual Calculatorfor all their calculations in the exam
- The Admit Card has to be downloaded from January 5, 2017 and carried along with the valid photo ID mentioned while filling the application form.
- The GATE 2017 exam will be held on February 4 & 5 and February 11 & 12, 2017.
- The Answer Keys will be announced by the IIT Roorkee tentatively after February 12, 2017 after the completion of the exam.
- The Result will be announced on March 27, 2017 and candidates who qualify can download their GATE 2017 Score Card
- GATE 2017 Score Card is valid for a period of three years from the date of declaration of the result
What’s New in GATE 2017?
- GATE 2017 exams shall be conducted for International students from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates.
- A new paper – Atmospheric &Oceanic Sciences has been announced under the Engineering Sciences Section H.
- Candidates have to upload their thumb impression as per specifications in addition to the photograph, signature and other documents
- Candidates can choose any exam centre from any zone for all three choices.
- There are three new exam centres – Gorakhpur (IIT Kanpur), Dibugarh & Burdwan (IIT Guwahati Zone)
Details of PSU Recruitment Through GATE 2017
Some PSUs like IOCL, BPCL, ONGC, HPCL, GAIL, NTPC to name a few come up with a recruitment drive through GATE scores every year. They are being joined by more PSUs who have found the process to be less tedious. With the announcement of the GATE 2017 Application Form, around 16 PSUs have already announced the details for their recruitment on the basis of GATE 2017 Scores. The Applications for most of them will be available in January 2017 after the availability of the GATE 2017 Admit Card from January 5, 2017. The interviews for the shortlisted candidates start somewhere after May every year when the PSUs have a clear idea of the shortlisting criteria. Since candidates have a few months before the commencement of the interview processes, they can prepare well for the same.
PSU Recruitment Through GATE 2017 - Preparation Before the Interview:
- Knowledge of the PSU: A very important exercise before attending the interview is to gather knowledge about the PSU. This exercise is useful in many ways. You know the details of the PSU which is expected of you and you also know how it is faring in terms of the market. to gather knowledge, check the website, google and read the newspapers.
- Make a check list of the PSU in order of preference: While researching about the PSU, make a list of the PSUs in the order of your preference of joining one of them. This is important if you have applied for more than one and may need to take the decision if you are shortlisted.
- Understand the HR Policy of the PSU: All the HR policies are listed on the website. Go through every detail of the HR Policy of the company. Know the career growth and path that you will be taking if you join the company.
- Get a clear understanding of your Pay Package: The pay scales generally involve a lot of perks. Many students commonly mistake the details for the salary they will get on hand. The CTC which is the Cost to Company is the gross salary which includes all the perks and benefits combined with the basic pay. The take home salary is the net one that will get on hand and carry home every month. It is vital to get a clear understanding of the pay scale and the grade.
- An impressive resume: This is a crucial step in your preparation. Give time to this exercise and ensure that you have an impressive resume to present at the time of interview. List out your achievements and strengths. Do Not falsify or glorify any information. Questions may be asked on the basis of your resume.
Important things to keep in mind while preparing for PSU Interview:
- Brush up all important topics from the specialization subject of your graduation/ B.Tech Degree.
- It is advisable to choose any two definite topics from your domain of specialization in which you are interested so that you can portray a definite knowledge if you are asked about these topics.
- Make sure you have a good reason for choosing these topics apart from the simple fact that you are interested. The question of Why you are interested may arise and you should be quick in answering that.
- It is advantageous to possess extra knowledge in some areas like Industrial Engineering for example. This allows you to have a definite edge over the other candidates.
- It is expected that candidates will be having knowledge about the current affairs and day to day happenings across the world and the country. This is also required for the group discussion so candidates must brush their GK skills and read newspapers everyday.
- Candidates are advised to be well prepared for tricky questions such as why should we select you? Or why do you want to join this particular company?
Checklist to complete before you appear in Interview for PSU Recruitment
- Pay attention to your appearance. Make sure you are groomed impeccably.
- Ensure that your appearance is identical to the GATE 2017 application form. Changing your look in any manner is not advisable.
- Make sure to carry all the requisite documents as mentioned in the interview call letter. The list is also mentioned below for the benefit of candidates
- Arrive well in time for the interview.
- Observe the surrounding where you are seated. Sometimes questions may be asked to check your observation powers.
Documents to carry to the PSU Interview:
It is important and mandatory to carry all the original certificates to the interview. It is advisable to carry a set of copies if required for submission to the company. Make sure you have a folder to carry all of these. The following are some of the documents to be carried to the interview.
- A copy of your Resume
- Class X Certificate
- Class XII Certificate
- Degree or Provisional Certificate Marks Sheet of all Semesters
- A copy of the PSU application submitted by you
- GATE 2017 Score Card
- GATE 2017 Admit Card
- Photographs identical to GATE 2017 Application
- A valid Photo ID like Pan Card, Aadhaar Card etc
Do’s and Don’ts during the PSU Interview
- Greet and wish everyone in the panel when you enter the interview room.
- Be polite and respectful while answering.
- If you and panel disagree on any point, put across the disagreement in a very polite manner. Do not be aggressive.
- Think well before answering the questions
- Don't know the answer- no problem. Be truthful and accept the fact. If you are unsure of your answer, ensure you mention that fact that you are doubtful but you think that it may be the answer
- The interview is the last stage for selection. If you are not one of the toppers then the interview is the place where you have to put your best foot forward and give it all that you have.
Guidelines for Group Discussion:
- Listen to the topic and think out your points on it.
- Put you points across in a logical manner
- You can take the lead of the discussion and make the rules for it
- At no point of time, sound argumentative while putting your points across
- The concept of team player is predominant in the Group Discussion
- If you don't have many points, listen to the others, you may be inspired and can think of some points then.
- Project a positive and confident demeanour