SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern & Syllabus 2017– The Exam Pattern & Syllabus of SSC Stenographer 2017 will help the candidates to know details of exam like question pattern, number of questions, marking scheme, exam duration, various topics to be covered under every section of the objective-type paper and other details. The SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern & Syllabus 2017 will help the candidates to prepare well for the exam to score good marks. SSC Stenographer 2017 exam is conducted for recruitment to the posts of Stenographer Grade C (Group B Non-Gazetted ) and Stenographer Grade D (Group C Non-Gazetted). As per the SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern & Syllabus 2017, written examination of SSC Stenographer will be conducted in Pen and Paper mode. The exam will be conducted for 2 hours. There will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer. Candidates who will obtain the qualifying marks in the written examination will be called for the skill test.
Commission will fix a minimum qualifying marks in each part of the written examination. The skill test will be qualifying in nature and there will be a qualifying standards in the skill test for different categories. Candidates to the post of SSC Stenographer Grade C and D will be shortlisted for the skill test on the basis of their performance in the Written Examination. Candidates appearing for SSC Stenographer 2017 exam can check below the detailed information related to paper pattern, number of questions, subjects, marking scheme, syllabus, etc.
Details as per SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2017
The SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2017 has been made available here. Candidates can check the exam pattern of written examination to get an fair idea of the number of questions, paper pattern, total marks, time duration etc. The qualified candidates of written exam will appear in the Skill test.
1. Written Examination
- The written examination will consist of Objective Type Multiple Choice Questions.
- There will be three parts in the test. Part-I and Part-II will consist of 50 questions each. Both the part will be for 50 marks each.
- The maximum marks allotted to Part-III of SSC Stenographer 2017 examination is 100 marks.
- The questions except Part III will be set both in English and Hindi.
- The time duration for general candidates will be 2 hrs. and 2 hrs. 40 mins for visually handicapped candidates.
- There will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer.
Tabular Representation of SSC Stenographer 2017 Written Examination
The table below illustrates the Written Exam Pattern of SSC Stenographer 2017.
|Exam Date||Part||Subject||Maximum Marks||Total Duration / Timing for General candidates||Total Duration/ Timing for Visually Handicapped/cerebral palsy candidates|
|31-07-2016 (Sunday)||I||General Intelligence & Reasoning (50 questions )||50||2Hours 10.00 A.M. to 12.00 Noon
OR2.00PM to 4.00PMNote: Entry to the examination venue will not be allowed after 9.30 AM in the morning shift and after 1.30 PM in the afternoon shift
|2 Hours 40 mins 10.00 A.M. to 12.40 PMOR2.00PM to 4.40PM|
|II||General Awareness (50 questions)||50|
|III||English Language and Comprehension (100questions)||100|
2.Skill Test in Stenography
- Candidates who obtain the qualifying marks in the Written Examination as may be prescribed by the Commission will only be called for the Skill Test.
- Commission may also prescribe qualifying marks in each part of the Written Examination.
- The skill Test will be qualifying in nature and the Commission will fix the qualifying standards in the skill test for different categories of candidates.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to appear in Skill Test.
- The candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English / Hindi at the speed of 100 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade C‟ and 80 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade D‟.
- The matter will have to be transcribed on computer only.
- VH candidates will be required to transcribe the matter in 75 minutes for English Shorthand or in 100 minutes for Hindi Shorthand for the post of Stenographer Grade D‟ and in 70 minutes for English Shorthand test and in 95 minutes for Hindi Shorthand test for the post of Stenographer Grade C‟.
- The skill test will be held at the Commission’s Regional/Sub Regional Offices or at other Centre(s) as may be decided by the Commission.
Tabular Representation of transcription time
|SSC Stenography Test 2017|
|Post Name||Speed||Transcription Time|
|Stenographer Grade ‘D’||80 w.p.m.||50 minutes (English)65 minutes (Hindi)|
|Stenographer Grade ‘C’||100 w.p.m.||40 minutes ( English )55 Minutes ( Hindi )|
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2017
The Syllabus of SSC Stenographer 2017 exam is given section –wise below.
General Intelligence & Reasoning: It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. The test will include questions on the following topics. The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate‟s abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationship, arithmetical computation, and other analytical functions.
- Analogies, similarities, and differences
- Space Visualization
- Decision Making
- Visual Memory
- Discriminating Observation
- Relationship Concepts
- Arithmetical Reasoning
- Verbal and Figure Classification
- Arithmetical Number Series, Non-Verbal Series etc
General Awareness: Questions will be designed to test the ability of the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to the following topics. These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline.
- India and its Neighboring countries
- Especially pertaining to Sports
- History, Culture, Geography, Economic scene
- General Polity including Indian Constitution, and Scientific Research etc.
Note : For VH candidates of 40% and above visual disability /cerebral palsy affected candidates and opting for scribe there will be no component of Maps/Graphs/Diagrams/Statistical Data in the General Intelligence & Reasoning / General Awareness Paper.
English Language & Comprehension: In addition to the testing of candidates’ understanding of the English Language, its vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, synonyms, antonyms and its correct usage, etc. his/her writing ability, would also be tested.
- Active and passive voice.
- Synonyms and antonyms.
- Fill in the blanks.
- Direct and Indirect Conversion.
- Comprehension passage.
- Miss-spelt words detection.
- Cloze passage.
Recommended Books for SSC Stenographer 2017 Exam
|Subjects Name||Books Name With Author|
|Books for Quantitative Aptitude||Quantitative Aptitude by RS Agarwal|
|Quicker mathematics by M Tyra|
|Books for English||English Grammar by Wren and Martin|
|Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis|
|Essential English Grammar by Raymond Murphy|
|Objective General English-SP BAKSHI|
|Objective General English by Dr. RS Aggarwal & Shri Vikas Aggarwal|
|Books for Reasoning||Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by RS Agarwal|
|Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by Kiran Publication|
|Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey|
|Non-Verbal Reasoning by BS Sijwali & Indu Sijwali|
|Books for General Awareness||Lucent General Knowledge (available both in hindi and english but english edition gives better coverage)|
|Any monthly magazine, such as Pratiyogita Darpan, Wizard or Chronicle|
|One news paper such as Hindu, Times of India, Hindustan times etc|
|One year book, for reference, Manorama year book Any Budget special magazine|